CREC History

Timeline

  • 1917 Legally established by action of the Florida Legislature
  • Early CREC with Model T

  • 1919 Site donated and planted from donations of Polk County growers
  • 1920 John H. Jeffries was appointed Superintendent of CES
  • 1921 Report to the Florida State Horticultural Society on CES (35:152-154)
  • 1926 The first permanent laboratory building. An insectary was built to rear Leis Sp. Lady Beetles for natural control of aphids.

  • The first insectary 1926

  • 1935 Dr. A.F. Camp was appointed Horticulturist in charge of the CES
  • 1945 The Packinghouse Research Building was constructed
  • 1948 The Administrative building was occupied.

  • CREC in 1948

  • 1957 Dr. Herman J. Reitz appointed Horticulturist in charge of CES
  • 1958 Entomology building
  • 1966 Extension faculty appointed to CES
  • 1969 The Biochemistry building was dedicated
  • 1982 Dr. Walter J. Kender appointed Director of AREC
  • 1982 Ben Hill Griffin, Jr. Citrus Hall dedicated
  • 1983 The Laboratory/Administrative Building was occupied
  • 1986 Student dormitory constructed.
  • 1997 Dr. Harold Browning appointed Director of CREC
  • 1997 The Environmental Quality Laboratory was built