Options & Prices for Transgenic Plants
We produce transgenic mature citrus for research, disease testing, and potential commercialization. If you are interested in higher throughput transformation of immature citrus with Agrobacterium, please contact the Core Transformation Facility:
Ordering transgenic plants from the Mature Citrus Facility (MCF)
i). DNA of the vector is preferentially accepted and the MCF can transform it into Agrobacterium. For commercialization, the GUS reporter must be used and nptII selection is encouraged. The pCAMBIA2301 vector is recommended and can be provided prior to sub-cloning. At this time, the GFP reporter has not been deregulated for commercialization. However, the GFP reporter and nptII selectable marker can be used for research purposes. The pTLAB21 vector, constructed by Dr. Vladimir Orbovic of the Core Transformation Lab, carries GFP that functions well in citrus. If a genetic construct with GFP looks promising in research, the transgenic must be remade with the GUS reporter for commercialization. We will not accept plasmids without reporter genes.
ii). Agrobacterium (EHA105 or AGL1 strains encouraged) harboring the vector with the gene of interest.
iii). We can sub-clone gene fragments into pCAMBIA2301 or pTLAB21 (discuss price with us).
Options & Prices:
- For commercialization, the price per transgenic event is $500.00 for all UF scientists and scientists funded by CRDF, and the GUS reporter must be used. For research purposes, the price per transgenic event is $300 and the GFP reporter can be used. For customers external to UF and CRDF, the price is $1,000 per transgenic event. Our facility is capable of producing as many transgenic events as requested. The MCF will perform the first graft and transfer the plants as soon as the grafts heal. Customers must obtain APHIS permits and pay for overnight shipping, if plants are to be shipped.
- Sub-cloning into pCAMBIA2301 with GUS or pTLAB21 with GFP (discuss price with us).
- $100 for shoot-tip grafting to introduce clean plant material (FDACS approved facility) into the growth facility (without disease testing).
- $25 per budded or rooted replicate plant.
- $25 for a secondary graft, which speeds growth, onto rootstock in the soil.
- qPCR or ELISAs can be conducted to determine high expressing events (discuss price with us).